Groundbreaking innovation is in our DNA
Mazda’s breakthrough SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY is an innovative automotive engineering strategy that delivers superior fuel economy, enhanced safety, lower emissions and a natural, intuitive response to driver input – all without ever giving up an ounce of Mazda’s signature driving exhilaration.
Lower fuel consumption
- The SKYACTIV-G 2.0 L engine produces more low/mid-range torque, yet has lower fuel consumption and emissions than our previous 2.0 L engine.
- The 2.5 L SKYACTIV-G engine has a high compression ratio for superior fuel economy and low- and mid-range torque that surpasses conventional gasoline engines.
6-hole direct fuel injector
- A high-pressure 6-hole direct fuel injector helps keep fuel cool to improve combustion efficiency.
- The SKYACTIV-G engine is the world’s first gasoline engine for mass production vehicles to achieve a high compression ratio of 13:1, capturing more energy from fuel and improving fuel efficiency and torque.
Raise the compression ratio
- The dome-shaped pistons in the SKYACTIV-G engine raise the compression ratio, harnessing more energy from fuel.
- The SKYACTIV-G engine improves oil and water pump efficiency, and reduces friction in pistons, rods and crank shaft.
- To build the SKYACTIV-Drive transmission, we combined all the best features of modern transmissions to get smooth shifting, steady acceleration, and the precise responsiveness of a manual.
More torque quickly
- The SKYACTIV-Drive transmission takes the speed of the driver’s pedal inputs into account. When the pedal is pressed slowly, the transmission does not shift until the driver has used all available torque. When the pedal is pressed quickly, the transmission shifts down sooner to give the driver more torque more quickly.
- Inspired by the legendary MX-5, the 6-speed SKYACTIV-MT manual transmission is smaller, lighter and stronger than any we’ve built before – promoting better fuel economy.